Over the years I’ve read several dozen books that have helped my mindset growth in business in so many different ways.
Surprisingly, most of the books I’ve read (or listened to) in the past 4 years have not been focused on growing a business or learning sales tactics or other such skills. But they were focused on helping me grow my business by opening my mind to different ways of thinking.
Now, if you’ve followed me for a while, you’ll know that I’ll often say I’m not the “Woo” type. I don’t use crystals or believe in divine powers, but I do believe that there is an energy in the world and our thoughts and mindset do play very deeply into how we show up in our lives and business.
It’s why I write in a gratitude journal several times a week (I’m working up to daily).
It’s why I have mindset affirmations on my bathroom mirror
And it’s why I have to pump myself up daily to think positive (I blame this on years and years of calling myself a pessimist)
Here are ten of the best books I’ve read (or listened to) that have helped me to grow my business to multiple six figures, work less daily and be able to show up authentically as myself.
(Full disclosure there are affiliate links below in which if you purchase through them I do receive a tiny bit of compensation. It does not affect your buying price at all)
In no particular order:
- The Compound Effect: Darren Hardy – All about how small habits build into compounding life changes. It taught me that my business isn’t built overnight and it takes the smallest of actions daily to help make it grow. Each of those actions compound over time to build my business, such as creating lead magnets to help build my email list, creating video content that can be watched for years on YouTube. (It also helped to understand the importance of investing into my future because of how money grows with the Compound Effect!)
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life: Jen Sincero – Seriously funny and a fantastic way at learning to build your mindset for positive change. I actually read this one about once a year because it just helps to ground me and remember why I’m building the business I want to build.
- You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth: Jen Sincero – Her second book is all about applying the mindset themes into building your wealth. This book gave me the ability to open my mind up to money mindsets and learning about money trauma I’ve suffered in my past. Highly recommend!
- A Happy Pocket Full of Money: David Cameron Gikandi – How to use gratitude and goal setting to help increase your financial wealth with deliberate thoughts and intentions. This read could be a bit dry at times, but overall had a strong message in practicing gratitude.
- Rejection Proof: How I Beat Fear and Became Invincible Through 100 Days of Rejection: Jia Jiang – This book documented the author’s journey in learning how to step outside comfort zones and master the art of the ASK. (You can’t get a yes, unless you ask for it) Each yes he got allowed him to build confidence and learn that a No doesn’t mean the end of any journey.
- The Decision: Overcoming Today’s BS for Tomorrow’s Success: Kevin Hart – This one is only available as an Audible but it’s seriously so good (You have to like Kevin Hart’s humour and potty mouth though). Well worth the listen and hearing his “golden butt nuggets”
- Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand in the Sun and Be Your Own Person: Shonda Rhimes – From the creator of Grey’s Anatomy and How to Get Away with Murder, Shonda discusses what happened in her life when she committed to saying YES to everything over the course of one year.
- Rich As F*ck: More Money Than You Know What to Do With: Amanda Frances – How to get over your biggest money blocks and increase your financial wealth and prosperity (side note: I read this while on a cruise and the looks I’d get when people passed by me and saw what the title was… )
- Financial Feminist: Overcome the Patriarchy’s Bullsh*t to Master Your Money and Build a Life You Love: Tori Dunlap – I started following Tori on TikTok 2 years ago and have loved her content. This book is just simply something every single woman needs to read in order to understand their financial wellbeing (It is US focused, but Canadians can get a ton of valuable info out of it – just switch the terms Roth and 401k with RRSP and Pension and you’ll be fine. Bonus #9: I Will Teach You To be Rich: Ramit Sethi – Both Ramit and Tori have very similar views on personal finance, so this one is also a great read if you want a different style about the same topic
- Believe IT: How to Go from Underestimated to Unstoppable: Jamie Kern Lima – Founder of IT Cosmetics and her journey from building her business empire in the living room of her home to becoming one of the most powerful cosmetic brands in the world. Jamie talks about her journey and never giving up on her dreams
Have you read any of these? Which are you most excited for?